Saturday, December 26, 2009

Godt Jul

Danes are obsessed with Christmas. The streets were decorated in November, Christmas foods were in the stores in November. There's even a special Christmas beer (Jule Brygg) and a special day when it comes out (October 30... that was a fantastic night). Other Christmas specialties include the new love of my life, æbleskiver, which are like round cupcakes except more amazing, and gløgg, or mulled wine.
The fact that I don't celebrate Christmas made my life easier this year, meaning, there's nowhere I had to be, so I was able to travel again and spend these last few days packing up and cleaning. I of course found some friends to have Christmas meals with, because I like celebrating hygge (Danish for coziness) including pizza handmade by attractive Italian men :-)
Sadly, Christmas means most of my friends have left Copenhagen. And when wandering, the city streets feel so empty after the excitement of the conference, and with everyone in their homes for the holiday.
For those who celebrate, I hope it was hyggelit.

No comments:

Post a Comment