After spending way too long agonizing over what to do with my life, I finished my paper, ran around CPH on Thursday saying goodbye to important people, and hopped on a plane to Barcelona Friday morning, to visit my friend Pau, an exchange student at Santa Cruz last year. I stayed with him and his parents in a little town outside Barcelona, and it was wonderful to relax and be somewhere copmletely different before my life begins again.
Barcelona is the complete opposite of Copenhagen. There was sun, people are more open, the attitude is relaxed, the food was amazing (Pau's mother cooked for me!, and I discovered a new love of patatas bravas). I spent my days wandering the city, enchanted by the narrow paths and the tall buildings, the roman ruins. Those who ask me about the Jewish history there, well, there wasn't. I looked for it, and only found some plaques throughout the Medieval quarter stating "this is where the synagogue was" or "this is where the main square was". Pau showed me a monastery hidding in the city center that was very awesome (I'm enchanted by Medieval churches, monateries, cloisters) and Barcelona Cathedral was almost as beautiful as Notre Dame (things in Paris set the standard for everything I've seen since. Hence, if something is almost as awesome as Paris, believe me it was pretty cool). As always, got lost looking for places, but getting lost in strange European cities is my "thing" along with going to outdoor markets and eating streetfoods.
We visited Montserrat, a monastery in the moutains, and while the monastery itself wasn't what I was expecting (it Renaissance, not medeival) taking the train through the mountains covered in snow was enchanting, even more so that I wasn't afraid (something which I always am).
The last day I visited Park de Guell, designed by Gaudi. The feeling I had while visiting it reminded me of Versailles, because it was so enchanting and peaceful and beautiful and awesome. Even in the pouring rain. From there I visited La Sagrada de la Familia, a cathedral designed by Gaudi which has been being built for the past 100 years and is not complete. Going inside it, despite the construction, was amazing, and so I will return so that I can view the completed building.
I don't know else to explain how enchanting and lovely this trip was. I was relaxed, not stressed out, had a chance to explore another part of Europe that was completely different and which I had not seen, meanwhile immensely enjoying visting my good friend and spending time with his family. A perfect ending to an epic European adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It sounds amazing. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time and such a perfect conclusion.
ReplyDelete