This past week, I participated in a two day conference with international and Danish students called "Rethink Our Energy Future", sponsored by the University of Copenhagen and Energy Crossroads. For two days, we listened to lectures (more self important people telling me things about climate change I already knew and why it's important to stop it), and participated in a workshop called "Changing the Game."
For this, we were divided into large groups representing Europe(mine was orange), and within the groups divided into 4 regions (Western Europe). Each table had Lego towers (yes, Legos are Danish) that represented how much coal, natural gas, oil, biofuels, electricity, and renewable energies were used for housing, transportation, and industry. After setting goals for reducing energy usage, we were given stacks of "money" and change cards to figure out which programs and strategies could be used to acheive our goals. Change cards were anything from installing solar panels, using electrical cars, replacing oil with biofuels, etc. With each card, we discussed the social and environmental real life implications. On the second day, each region chose their favorite change cards and a negiotator, and after the regions presented their changes, the selected representatives were given the task of negotiating down to 8 change cards to apply to all of Europe. Afterwards, in different groups we were each given a change card and the task to develop ways to implement this goal into public policy (this part felt like National Environmental Policy all over again).
It sounds complicated, but this workshop was brilliant. By giving me visuals and role play, I was able to further understand the enormous task politicians are given in combatting climate change and developing energy policy, while still fulfilling the needs of its constitutents. Many people commented that we were not given enough factors to make a serious decision (population growth, other enivornmental impacts) but the point of this game was NOT to make real decisiosns. The point was to provoke dialoge, to think about things differently, and to really understand the daunting task of implementing these policies (in developing policies, you need to consider ALL the stakeholders, how they'll retaliate, how to make everyone happy, and where the money comes from).
My region of 4 got along really well. We had equally strong personalities, but were level headed enough that after making an argument and making sure we were heard, backing off if the rest of the group felt differently. We also came from different environmental backgrounds, giving different perspectives in our discussions.
Basically, it was amazing to have serious environmental discussions in my life once again.
I could end this blog on how climate change is real and happening and we all need to do something to reduce our CO2 emissions and make the world a better place, but if you read my blog, I'm sure you believe this anyway, or know that I do, so I will end it with something silly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm glad you had the opportunity to talk about things that matter to you with people who care about the same things.
ReplyDelete