Monday, August 3, 2009
First Day
The scariest thing I've ever done was go to orientation this morning for my first Danish class. I only know my roommates, and a couple other people from UCSC, but they're not to be counted on. Everyone else seems to know each other (because it seems everyone lives in student housing next to the university which btw is a 30 min bike ride from my apt. Something I am extremely unhappy about.) I decide to talk to someone who is also standing awkward and lonely. An Aussie of course (who else have I been hanging out with since I've gotten to Europe?). We are split up into small groups for Danish class. There seems to be a few cool people in my group. Maybe I will actually make a friend. Two hours go by, can't say I particularly enjoy the teacher. Danish is difficult, and I would've appreciated starting with pronnunciations not actually speaking it. Well, it's been awhile since I've begun studying a completely new language. I have an hour and a half to bike to the next orientation, and conviently run into Ben and have lunch with him. This second orientation is beyond overwhelming with so much new information. I receive so much new stimuli I need to go back to somewhere familiar to process. However, by the time I get back to my apt (a process which usually involves getting horribly lost) I'm exhausted and don't want to go anywhere. Unfortunately, everyone lives on the other side of town as I said. I cannot tell you how jealous I am of those who live in the dorm and have an easier time making friends. I have a hard enough time in general, why make it more difficult for me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

*hug* I am convinced you will make friends in your Danish class. Learning a new language together in a new country can create bonding experiences.
ReplyDelete