Just to update you as to what I'm actually doing. For the next three weeks, I am taking Danish. For three hours a day. It's a difficult language. Now that the program has started, I have a few anecdotes to share:
-I get lost about three times a day, because I think I know where I'm going but really don't. Also, my apt is on the other side of the city as my school is. This accounts for it. I have also gotten lost everytime I try to go home. One night I got so lost the policemen couldn't help me and I needed a taxi.
-In class we said what languages we speak. Jeg kan tale engelsk og a lidt hebraisk. (I can speak English and a little Hebrew). My teacher says, "Hebrew! Why?" Ummm....
-On the street, a man asks me something in Danish. I proudly respond "Jeg hedder engelsk". He looks at me for a moment, then speaks to me in English. Later at night, I realize I had told him "My name is English"
O, and a word about bike culture: bikes are EVERYWHERE. I bought a hot pink one named Barbie Girl in honor of Aqua (who are Danish). Bikes have a separate lane. But people don't wear helmets. And there can be lots of bike traffic.
On the other hand, I can't find water fountains. And at a cafe, they wouldn't serve me a glass of water. So whenever, I'm thirsty, I have to spend $4 on a little plastic bottle. And then I can't find a recyling bin. How again is this city sustainable?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Why Hebrew? Usually I get the opposite response. "You DON'T speak Hebrew?! WHY?!"
ReplyDeleteI concur on the bike part with the netherlands. seriously, I've seen little old grandmas on bikes. . .I'm considering getting one. (knowing me, how surprising is this?)
ReplyDelete-I just buy water at the grocery stores. here, depending on where I go it gets as cheap as 60 eurocents for 1.5 liters
hahaha i like the part "my name is english" looks like ur learning a lot of danish though.
ReplyDelete:) btw ur a good writer!