Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Norrebro

I live in an Arab neighborhood. On the fourth floor of a cute apartment with a couple other students on the edge of the city. For anyone else, this is not an issue, because it means cheap falafel and markets that sell food besides meat and cheese. The Danes I met have told me horror stories about this neighborhood, how there are gangs and shootings. As long as I don't get caught up in a gang, I think I will be fine. And honestly, this neighborhood is safer than the one I grew up in (rewind to the days I could bike on one street next to my house but not the other one).
But when I go into a market with Palestinian flags and Arabic, I can't help feeling afraid. What if they find out I'm Jewish? What if they hate me? What if they want me to die? One of my main fears about coming to Europe was Anti-Semitism. I've never experienced it. In LA public school, I was judged for being white. In Santa Cruz, I'm judged for believing in God and organized religion. Yet here, part of me tingles when I walk into a bike shop with an Arab owner, or pass by Muslim women on the street. I don't want to be prejudiced, but in the States we have been taught to fear. On the upside, walking into an Arab market feels more familiar to me than a Danish one, because it's similar to Israeli food, though frustrating that I can't speak Hebrew. I think as long as I am not obvious and that I'm respectful, I will be ok. Going abraod is about new experiences, right?

1 comment:

  1. I think as long as I am not obvious and that I'm respectful, I will be ok. Going abraod is about new experiences, right?
    - Exactly!

    ReplyDelete