I returned from my travels Thursday night, completely exhausted and recovering from a sickness that decided to strike while in Paris. Seeing as I had no friends yet and desperately trying to cling to familiarity, I went to Chabad.
At any given moment, people were speaking Danish, Hebrew, English, or a mixture. I met Jews who grew up in Denmark and had moved to Israel, Jews who had stayed, and traveling Jews stopping by for the weekend. I talked to people about what it was like to be Jewish in Denmark (mind you, the people I was with are Orthodox).
Basically, this is a very tiny community and is mostly centered in Copenhagen, but as all communities should be, it was warm and welcoming, so the next time I crave something vaguely familiar I can come back and sort of feel at home.
Balconies still drive me crazy, and I swear if I wasn't raised in egalitarian communities I would have acted as Yentl and become a man.
I didn't observe Shabbat in Paris, because I went to the Louvre instead, but found it amusing that I spent Friday night at the hostel bar with an Israeli and an Australian Jew.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

That sounds so cool! I wish I'd checked out Jewish life when I was studying abroad.
ReplyDelete