Sunday, November 1, 2009

22nd Year

Tomorrow, I turn 21. If I were in Santa Cruz tonight, my friends would follow me around Pacific Avenue, as we go from bar to bar so I can get my free drinks and celebrate the fact that America has the oldest drinking age in the world. This would have followed an epic Halloween weekend, that I know my friends just had.

Alas, I am in Copenhagen. Halloween is not a big deal, though I went to a couple student parties last week. And turning 21 is... turning 21. I did have a lovely weekend, of casual drinking with friends,swanky and cozy bars, and another epic night of traipsing across Copenhagen drunk at 3 am trying to return to my dorm which is an inconvenient distance from anything important. I guess what I'm trying to say is I miss my friends a lot this weekend.

On the other hand, I will go out with some friends tonight, buy my "first" legal drink at midnight, then fly to Prague the next day, and spend the week exploring two more European cities (including seeing Devina in Berlin, where we will celebrate our birthdays again).

As for turning another year older.... well, most of my friends are older than me anyway, and are usually surprised to hear how young I am, so I don't consider myself as being "older"... just as catching up. And American students are younger than others in general... (I'm going to be 21 with a bachelor's degree.)

Maybe turning 21 means I'm one step closer to becoming an adult..... scary thought

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday!

    And don't forget: Growing older is inevitable. Growing up in optional :-)

    ReplyDelete