Sunday, November 29, 2009

Giving Thanks

This past Thursday was my first Thanksgiving outside of America and my first without my parents, and I had a lovely time. I'd met a couple girls in my Nordic Mythology class, and so found myself as the "token American" at American Thanksgiving with four Canadians, a French girl, and a Hungarian.. I don't enjoy celebrating how we screwed over the Native Americans, but I enjoy spending 4 hours in a kitchen with other young women, everyone preparing something yummy and vegetarian, and having a hyggelit (cozy) meal, celebrating yummy food and good company.

On Saturday, the Education Abroad Program at the University of California arranged for the students Copenhagen to visit the students in Lund (southern Sweden) for a Thanksgiving meal. Aside from learning never to have a catered Thanksgiving meal in Sweden because they FAIL at serving Thanksgiving foods, we all had a lovely day touring the very small town and hanging out with the other students. It had been way too long since I was in a group of other Californians, and immediately my pattern of speech changed, the conversations changed, and it felt refreshing. Lund, on the other hand, felt like Brugges in Belgium, Maastricht in the Netherlands, and Odense in Denmark. Basically, small town Europe. Except Swedish. Maybe I really am too jaded.

As the end of my program nears:

I am thankful that I had this opportunity to go to Europe. I am thankful my family supported me. I am thankful I was able to visit so many countries and travel to so many places. I am thankful for the adventures I have had. I am thankful for the wonderful people I have met. I am thankful that my friends at home continue to support me emotionally. I am VERY thankful that my life here finally worked itself out. I am thankful I was able to grow individually and learn so much about myself.

And of course, I am thankful I have a life and home to return to.

1 comment: